When it comes to security in condo buildings and communities in Denver, CO, it's important to make sure that your most vulnerable doors and windows are equipped with anti-lock and anti-slip mechanisms. To ensure maximum safety, the International Residential Code (IRC) suggests that any outdoor space, such as a balcony or terrace, must have a guardrail or security gate that is at least 36 to 42 inches high. Landlords must also comply with local and state laws to ensure that they meet residential codes. If you own an older property, it's essential to make sure you've updated the electrical outlets to comply with the current code.
In 1971, the National Electrical Code began requiring ground fault interruption (GFI) outlets. If your rental property was built before 1978, it may be contaminated with lead paint that was commonly used before its ban due to the danger of lead poisoning. To help you stay safe in your condo building or community, here are 13 essential security tips:
- Install a Security System: Investing in a security system is one of the best ways to protect your home from intruders. Look for systems that include motion detectors, cameras, and alarms.
- Secure Your Doors: Make sure all exterior doors are equipped with deadbolts and reinforced strike plates.
You should also install door viewers so you can see who is outside before opening the door.
- Secure Your Windows: Install window locks on all windows and consider adding window bars or grilles for extra protection.
- Install Outdoor Lighting: Motion-activated outdoor lighting can help deter intruders by making them visible to neighbors and passersby.
- Secure Your Garage: Make sure your garage door is equipped with a secure lock and consider installing an automatic garage door opener for added convenience.
- Secure Your Mailbox: Install a secure mailbox to prevent mail theft.
- Secure Your Patio: Install a patio door lock or sliding door lock to prevent intruders from entering through an unlocked patio door.
- Secure Your Balcony: Install a balcony railing or security gate that is at least 36 to 42 inches high.
- Install Security Cameras: Security cameras can help deter intruders and provide evidence if a crime is committed.
- Install Smoke Detectors: Smoke detectors can alert you to potential fires and help keep your family safe.
- Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Carbon monoxide detectors can alert you to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home.
- Secure Your Locks: Make sure all locks are secure and consider installing keyless entry systems for added convenience.
- Utilize Transportation Options: Denver offers several transportation options, such as 30th-Downing located 11.4 miles from Station A Apartments.